About Yum China
About Yum China
Yum China Holdings, Inc. (“Yum China”) (NYSE: YUMC) is China’s largest restaurant company with a purpose of making every life taste beautiful. From a single restaurant in 1987, the company now operates over 8,300 restaurants in over 1,200 cities and towns spanning every province and autonomous region across mainland China.
Yum China became an independent publicly traded company on November 1, 2016. Following our separation from Yum! Brands, we now have the exclusive right to operate and sub-license the KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell brands in China, and we own the East Dawning and Little Sheep concepts outright. We also acquired the controlling interest in the holding company of DAOJIA.com.cn.
Over the past three decades, we have become a leading restaurant business in China, not just in terms of our footprint, but also in brand awareness, social media and digital engagement, national supply chain management, product quality and innovation. Our approximately 450,000 employees are the backbone of our business and our experienced management team continues to foster a culture that is based on energy, opportunity and fun.
We build strong consumer loyalty by developing menus that cater to local tastes in addition to offering global favorites like KFC's Original Recipe chicken. Each of our brands has proprietary menu items, many developed in China, as well as unique recipes and special seasonings to provide tasty and convenient food, all made with many high quality ingredients. With decades of accumulated consumer knowhow and loyalty in China, our brands are integrated into popular culture and consumers' daily lives.
We are dedicated to serving our customers’ evolving needs by enhancing the in-store experience, improving mobile connectivity, introducing innovative new products, and constantly delivering value. We also remain focused on driving shareholder value by growing sales and profits across our portfolio of brands through increased brand relevance, new store development and enhanced unit economics. With a rapidly growing consumer class and increasing urbanization, Yum China is well positioned for long term growth.
Milestones in China
- 1987 – KFC opens its first China location in Beijing
- 1990 – Pizza Hut opens its first China location in Beijing
- 2001 – Pizza Hut Home Service launches in Shanghai
- 2004 – KFC opens its 1,000th restaurant in China
- 2005 – First East Dawning restaurant opens in Shanghai
- 2012 – Yum! Brands acquires Little Sheep
- 2013 – Pizza Hut Casual Dining opens its 1,000th restaurant in China
- 2015 – KFC opens its 5,000th restaurant in China
- 2016 – Separates from Yum! Brands and became an independent company, listed on the New York Stock Exchange
- 2016 – Taco Bell opens its first location in Shanghai
- 2017 – Acquisition of DAOJIA.com.cn